At the turn of the 19th Century, the Highcliffe Castle estate extended from the castle eastward to the Chewton Bunny and was owned by the Stuart Wortley family, descendants of Lord Bute.
Greystones House, within the Castle estate, was built between 1911 and 1913, at a cost of £4,600 then given by Major General Stuart Wortley to his sister, Beatrice, and her husband, Captain Henry Denison, as a seaside residence.
The Architect of Greystones House, Edward Schroder Prior was articled to Norman Shaw an early member of the Arts and Craft movement which influenced the style and design of a building for the 20th Century. Prior amalgamated many different materials and shapes to achieve a contemporary style. The two storey building constructed in Purbeck stone has many interesting features such as external circular brick columns, Tuscan columns in the hall, a domed roof, window seats, fireplaces, oak doors and so on.